Thursday 27 September 2012

Woman delivers quadruplets at home as husband cries out for help

IT was a tale of two homes, Wednesday, in Bauchi when the wife of a peasant farmer gave birth to quadruplets at home with help from a traditional midwife, while that of a lawmaker was delivered of triplets through a N250,000-gulping cesarean section.

The farmer’s wife, 25-year-old Murjinatu Yusuf’s babies, all girls, weighed between 0.6 and 1.2 kilogrammes. They live at Gajin Duguri village in Alkaleri Local Government Area of the state, while the lawmaker’s wife, Aishatu Abdul-kadir, 31, is from Kirfi Local Government Area.

Murjinatu’s husband, Salisu Yusuf, 30, is however, unhappy as his farmland was washed away during last week’s flood that swept across the state. Yusuf, now a father of nine, said he was at cross-roads on how to provide for his family.


He said: “I thank God for these four children that He has given me. Everybody is surprised because this is the first time that this is happening in my village and even in the state. I pray that God should keep them for us and bless them.

I need govt’s help—Husband
“I am pleading with the government to help me. Flood has swept off my farm from where I feed my family. I used to buy six to seven mudus of corn to feed my family per meal, but now I do not know how we will survive.”

However, the mood at the Kirfi home of Aishatu, whose husband, Abdulkadir Dewu, a member representing Kirfi Constituency in the state House of Assembly, is different.

Dewu, 34, said: “I lack words to express my joy. I thank God for this blessing. May He protect them.”

Lawmaker’s triplets
The legislator, who also now has nine children, said he spent over N250,000 for the cesarean operation on his wife at City Clinic, Bauchi.

Kaltume Ibrahim, the nurse on duty, who later received Murjinatu and her four new babies, said the mother was brought in very weak, while the babies were underweight.

The nurse said: “She delivered at home. She had bled too much when they brought her here. On their arrival at the delivery suite here, we noticed that the babies’ weights were extremely low. The least among them weighed 0.7 kg, while the highest weighed 1.2 kg. They have been transferred to Abubakat Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital, ATBUTH, for management.”

Murjinatu, who was very weak, simply thanked God for giving her the quadruplets, praying that the babies should remain healthy.

Doctor’s report
At ATBUTH, one Dr. Jonah Ogbode said that Murjinatu was brought in about six hours after her delivery in her village.

Culled from Vanguard

No comments:

Post a Comment