Thursday 7 June 2012

MISS UNIVERSE NEW ZEALAND TO LOSE CROWN



South African born Avianca Bohm will lose her crown as Miss Universe New Zealand if her application for citizenship is not fast tracked.

The queen, who was crowned on Sunday, June 3, 2012, in Wellington, has been informed that she will lose her crown and the right to represent the country at the Miss Universe pageant in December, unless she gains New Zealand citizenship.

Speaking to TV ONE’s Breakfast on Wednesday, June 6, 2012, the 22-year-old model said she didn’t know she was ineligible to compete for the crown.

‘I knew that there would be some sort of discussion [about citizenship] but I didn’t think it would be blown out of proportion like this. I was told don’t worry about it when it comes to that situation, we will just deal with it at the time, but don’t worry about it beforehand.’ Bohm, who has been a permanent resident in New Zealand for four years, is expected to gain citizenship in March, four months after the pageant.

However, she hopes the process will be fast tracked. ‘I have heard of past situations where people are not citizens and they have represented New Zealand overseas, more sport based things like rugby or the Olympics, and I have heard they people have fast-tracked citizenship for them so I am staying positive and I am sure that it can be done for me as well because at the end of day I am trying to represent New Zealand not for my own benefits‘, she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment